God works in many ways but only a couple of things have gripped me with greater happiness and joy than the truth of how God loves to show His God-ness by working for me, and that His working for me is always before, under and in any working I do for Him.
At first it may sound arrogant of us, and belittling to God, to say that he works for us. But that’s only because of the connotation that I am an employer and God needs a job. That’s not the connotation when the Bible talks about God’s working for us. For instance: “God works for those who wait for him” (Isaiah 64:4)
The best way to paint this picture is to say that God works for me because I’m bankrupt and need to be bailed out of everything that I have done wrong. I am weak and need someone strong. I am endangered and need a protector. I am foolish and need someone wise. I am lost and need a Rescuer.
“God works for me” means I can’t do the work.
And this glorified him not me. The Giver gets the glory. The Powerful One gets the praise.
“Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you” (Psalm 55:22). This is very freeing and worth doing – so let him!
How God works for us
- “No eye has seen a God besides you, who works for those who wait for him.” (Isaiah 64:4)
- “God is not served by human hands as though he needed anything, but he himself gives life and breath and everything.” (Acts 17:25)
- “The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.” (Mark 10:45)
- “The eyes of the LORD run through the earth, to show himself strong for those who trust him.” (2 Chronicles 16:9)
- “If I were hungry, I wouldn’t tell you. Call on me, I will deliver you. YOu will glorify me.” (Psalm 50:15)
- “To old age I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save.” (Isaiah 46:4)
- “I worked harder than any, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.” (1 Corinthians 15:10)
- “Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain.” (Psalm 127:1)
- “Whoever serves, let him serve by the strength God supplies, so that in everything God may be glorified.” (1 Peter 4:11)
- “Work out your own salvation, for it is God who works in you, to will and to work.” (Philippians 2:12-13)
- “I planted, Apollos waters, but God gave the growth.” (1 Corinthians 3:6-7)
These are just 11 ways God works for us. There are many more that show his power, love, and ability to bail us out of what we do. For He is the reason we succeed. It’s all to glorify HIM!
Even as I write this blog I am in awe of how God makes our work so easy. He delights in the details of our lives and waits for us to notice them so that in those very details, God shows us how much love he has for us, His creation!
I’m very interested in writing about things that don’t get much attention. Have a look at this post for instance, where I discuss the very controversial topic of the rapture. I also tend to a bit of online marketing to support my blogging habit 🙂 If you’re like most in these last days, you are probably looking for a way to make something extra along side of your regular job.
God Works God Works